Trial Streetscape Upgrades
The Innovating Streets Projects in Kawakawa, Moerewa and Kaikohe trialled innovative changes to create safer, more walkable spaces that reflect the local community.
Stellar Projects has worked with Far North District Council, the Northern Transport Alliance, Waka Kotahi and two local community organisations: ĀKAU and Kings Theatre Creative. For each of these three projects Stellar has facilitated the co-design, delivery, and evaluation processes, alongside the local partners. Residents, business owners, schools, kohanga reo and maraes have all been involved in the trial designs which have led to:
• Slower speeds in key walking areas
• Safer access to schools, marae, and community facilities
• Enhanced streetscapes through art and planting
• Insights into what works for the towns’ communities
• Proof for transport and funding bodies that measures are safe and effective
• A roadmap for permanent measures.